Saturday, May 13, 2006

 

Random bits

I am having some blogger block today so I am going to string together a few small thoughts.

There was some interesting news on the pharmacy front a couple of weeks ago. A student at the University of Cumberlands (a "Christian" university) was recently expelled as a result of his MySpace page. The student had listed his sexual orientation as gay. The student was expelled and told that he could not finish his last semester and graduate. The kid hired a lawyer and started talking to the school. The interesting pharmacy part is that this university is trying to receive funding for their new pharmacy school. The state briefly considered not giving the funding, but the student settled with the school. He was allowed to finish out the semester and will be transferring to another school. Of course, the school will receive the money for the pharmacy school. I do not think state money should go to a university that does not have the same anti-discrimination policies as the state has. I read a rumor that I have not been able to find again that the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) may not accredit the school unless it changes it policies. I will try to keep up with that story. It will take a couple of years to build the school and then some more time for accreditation.

I have had to come out to two sets of patients that last couple weeks. Coming out is such an involved process. I put a rainbow sticker on my car and an HRC equal sign on the door of the pharmacy. Do I have to cut my hair into a mullet? :) The first couple were very funny. We were talking about Jennifer. The wife asked me if I was in a relationship with her. Her husband was soo embarrassed. He did not think I was gay (I am actually bisexual, but whatever). He had introduced me to his single friend the week before. The guy owns a restaurant and did not give me a second look. I am not young enough, thin enough, or blond enough. I am so clueless though because I did realize that he was trying to set me up. The second couple just kind of stumbled on the information when asking me if she also lived with me. They then proceeded to tell me about this really cool gay guy that used to live next to them. I felt like they were trying to sell me on how progressive and open they were.

I was watching render, a video about Ani Difranco. She is amazing. I love Ani Fucking Difranco.

Pride season is here. We have been going to Pride fundraisers all over. Tonight, we are going to attend the Mr. SC Pride pageant. We sponsored a contestant. It should be fun since the best of our drag king troupe are competing in the contest. Next week, we are setting up a table at the Pride festival to promote the pharmacy. The week after that I am going to Pensacola Pride.

I am continuing to try and blog at least once a week. It is becoming difficult for me to blog during work hours so I will be trying to blog on Saturday afternoons.

Comments:
Just let people know you are bi, and tell them, some times it is hard for people to understand it... then pause and say, hey sometimes it is hard for me to understand it.... pause again, wait for the strained nervous laugh from them..... then say, Well I did the marriage thing, it was no good. I am very happy with my current relationship, and life is too short to be unhappy, so I'll roll with this now. Then give them a big smile.
 
The lost posts links can be found at
everydayactivism.blogspot.com.
 
I love the whole "no really, I'm cool with it" reaction. It's like, when I see that you're married, I don't say..."Hey! My parents are married. I'm totally supportive of their lifestyle."

PS. Tell J that her gay white male twin says HELLOOO!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?