Saturday, May 20, 2006

 

Columbia Pride

I headed out to the Pride Festival at 12:00 pm after shutting down the pharmacy an hour early. D had checked us in and set up the tent. I brought sunscreen, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, and my business cards. We set these items on our table and hung a sign that said " Forgot your sunscreen? Stop in and get some." I should had put the word "free" somewhere on the sign since dozens of people thought we were selling sunscreen. I probably only talked to 2 people who will actually consider bring their business to me, but the day was success. The tent was close to the stage so we were able to watch all of the entertainment including an awesome comedianne that J and I have hung out with a couple of times. I was sitting in the shade the entire time and people came to me instead of me having to mingle with them. I had two excellent encounters, as well. The first was with a friend of D's. I was explaining to him that I do not like the sun since it doesn't fit with my gothic-like style. He said
"You will be really grateful for that when you get into your thirties."
Ha! I am 20+12 so I really appreciated the comment. The second encounter was with a reader of the blog. It was so awesome to meet someone who reads the blog that I don't officially know. You made my day.
We packed up an hour early because I got 2 pages for patients that needed prescriptions. I came back to Pleasantville and took care of my patients. I talked to J while I was at home. She made it to Canada safelyand was headed out to a women's dinner. I almost stayed home because I did not want to drive back downtown. However, I forced myself to head out to the lesbian bar. I sat with members of the lesbian area network, an email/social group I belong to. B is the coordinator for the network. She is outgoing, funny, and slightly pushy. She is constantly drawing new women into the network and forcing them to interact. Tonight, I met 2 couples that are about the same age and J and I. The first couple was composed of an alternative grocery store employee/doctorate of religious studies and a server/nursing student who just moved here from the small town I worked at during my fellowship. The second couple was composed of a water quality monitor/rugby player and another rugby player/ job unknown. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to both couples and hope to hang out with them again. B coerced me into dancing several time. She will not take "no" for an answer. We danced until about 12:00 pm and B suggested we go to the show bar. I agreed to go because I wanted to stay out until at least 1:00 am. Most of the time, J and I go home by midnight or before. I was trying to prove to myself that she is the one who wants to go home early. However, at 11:30 I was trying to go home, but B won't let me. I went to close my tab, but it mysteriously disappear. I am not sure if the bartender was too busy to find my tab or if she was excited to see me without my girlfriend. Either way, thanks.
When we got to the other bar, B paid cover charge. It was packed. I wanted to leave immediately, but stayed because B had paid for me to get in. I am so glad I stayed. I saw Pepper MaShay perform live and she was great. Pepper MaShay is best known for the song from Queer as Folk that frequently played at Babylon, "Let's get soaking wet". Then, to end my night on a high note, the regular live singer at that bar came out dressed in a cream zoot suit and sang "Minnie the Moocher" (to me). My Columbia Pride 2006 was almost perfect. I just wish J had been here to enjoy it with me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?