Wednesday, February 22, 2006

 

Drag Kings


I love drag kings. I saw my first drag king show in Washington D.C. during the summer of 2003. I believed that I had died and gone to bisexual heaven. Girls that look like boys and wear costumes!! I had been to many drag queen shows and enjoyed them. However, I quickly tire of the diva dance tunes and the unending sequins. When I saw the suits and heard the music, I knew I was destine to become a drag hag.

I went to each show that they had that summer. I loved the creative costumes and the variety of music. The kings in D.C. seemed to love 80's New Wave and Punk that summer. I returned home for my final year of pharmacy school. I visited a couple of times over the next year, but was unable to make another show. I thought that I was only going to see drag queen shows from then on.

During the spring of 2005, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a troupe here where I live. They perform every Wednesday. Yes, every week. They perform country, rock, punk, and even Sinatra. There are 10-15 active kings at any one time. There are about 40 on the official roster. They change costumes and bring props for their shows. My sister asked me why we go every week (if we have a babysitter). I told her that it is a different show every week. We have gone so regularly that we have been dubbed "The Cabaret Couch Bunnies". We further enhanced our reputations as drag hags when we purchased a private show during their summer fundraiser.

That show was amazing. They placed our couch directly in front of the stage (normally it is off to the side) and feed us fruit. Our favorite kings performed numbers that we had suggested. Many of our friends came from out of town to share the evening with us. This is a great picture of myself on stage with my favorite king. The song was Closer by NIN and there was a whip involved. We had a great time and plan to purchase another show if it becomes available this year.

I have had an interesting relationship with the troupe. Initially, I wanted to help them with costumes and song choice. Then, I wanted to join as the femme member. Next, I decide I wanted to become friends with the kings so I could help and join. They were not interested in new friends. So, I settled for just being a fan. I think that I will probably try and perform myself one of these days. I want to buy a zoot suit and perform a Big Bad Voodoo Daddies number.

This post came about due to the year anniversary show of our troupe. I attended the show which was entertaining as always. I hope that I will be posting next year about the 2 year anniversary show. Thank you to all of the wonderful women who transform into men for my entertainment.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?