Monday, January 09, 2006

 

My wholesaler

Drugs are made by pharmaceutical companies like Lilly and Merek. They are then sold to chain stores and wholesalers in large quantities. As with most products, the more that you buy the cheaper the price. However, it is not practical for an independent pharmacy to large amounts of stock. So, we use a wholesaler. Our wholesaler is located in this state and we get daily deliveries. That means if we don't have something the day that you come in with a prescription we will have it the next day. My wholesaler has been very helpful in opening this store. I have been to the warehouse and met several of the important upper management people. In fact, I have had a couple of meals with the president of the company. They put in my opening inventory and I don't have to pay for it until May. They also financed my computers and my fixtures. They have allowed me have delayed billing. We had our first payment on December 25th. All of these things have allowed me to stay open even without a loan. They are known for fostering the development of independent pharmacies.

This made yesterday even more ridiculous. I knew I was not going to be able to make my payment this week. I debated whether I should call them or let the payment bounce. I call my friend A who worked with me during my fellowship. She has been a technician for many years and has work with this wholesaler the entire time. She told me to call my sales rep and let him know. She mentioned that other pharmacies that she had been involved with had fallen behind and that the wholesaler had been flexible. I did and he asked how much I could pay. I told him the amount and thought that it was done. I get a call 20 minutes later from him. He tells me that I have to get a certified check and also fax a copy of the check to the credit manager. He also tells me that I will have to start prepaying for my future order. So, I am struggling for money and you want me to pay for a check. Also I can't order things for my new patients who bring money into the pharmacy. So much for fostering the development of new pharmacies.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?