Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

My thoughts on gay marriage

Yesterday was a difficult day. I went to see J at 5:30 am, 1:00 pm, and 8:30 in the ICU. Much drama occurred while I was working that I am going to leave out of this blog. At 10 pm, she was transferred to a regular room. I was able to help her get settled and I came home to sleep for a couple of hours.

I was thinking about the way gay marriage would affect my life, specifically with this trip to the hospital. There would be no awkward moment each time we moved to a different part of the hospital. She would be my wife and no one would wonder why I there. I would be updated on her status regularly while I was at work. I would be included in treatment decisions, not just informed after the decisions was made. I was given a chance to sign a consent form a couple of nights ago, but I couldn't sign it since I am not a relative or spouse. I know we have all heard and/or experienced this stuff before. Now, I am trying to navigate my way through this without upsetting her or her family. I feel like this is at the expense of myself. I wonder if there would be a "closet" if we were able to get married. I mean can you remain closeted and be married?

I went back over my lunch break. She looked better. I don't think that she will be home before Sunday. Many of her family members are here and plan to stay through the weekend. I offered to let them stay here, but they feel that we are too far away from the hospital. I figure since I am just her "roommate" and can't participate in the decisions that I may as well stay here. I also have a duty to my patients. I have to have some sleep to do my job. I am going to try to stay with her tonight.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?