Tuesday, January 17, 2006

 
I am feeling inspired today. I had my first comment on a post and I don't know the person. Thank you for not only reading, but also taking the time to let me know!

Moving from a corporate restaurant with a large staff to an independently owned pharmacy with a small staff was a huge adjustment. The staff at the pharmacy consisted of JB, the pharmacist; AN, the manager and lead technician;SB, the compounding technician; AP, the clerk; and another student in my class. She quit shortly after I began so she doesn't even get an initial. There were also 3-4 delivery drivers who serviced our store and the other location down the street. The pharmacy is a part of a local chain of independent drug stores. In fact, my store is located a mere 7 miles from one of the locations. Anyways, the drivers were not really involved in our daily interactions.

This may seem like a tangent, but it is necessary to the description of my first day in the pharmacy. As I stated, I work in restaurants in my early 20's. I liked the business, but I didn't meet many people that I truly connected with. You see, I am a geek and an intellectual. I love watching sci-fi, read two books a week, talking politics and social policy, and use to play role-playing games. I found that blending in with the non-geeks was the best course. I had such high hopes for pharmacy school. I thought that smart was the same as open-minded and interesting . I thought I would be surround by great minds and people who wanted to expand their experiences. HA! My class was full of middle-class, vanilla people. I hung out with the woman I car pooled with. We had nothing in common, but we learned about one another. So, I quickly got bored with the people and decided to shake things up a little. I have always been a little bit gothic. I bleached out some chunks of my very dark hair and the dyed them vampire red. I personally think that this should be my natural hair color.

I was hire in September, punk hair and all. My very first day, I had to train on the register with AP. I was annoyed because I wanted to learn how to be a pharmacist not a clerk. It was a fairly busy afternoon. I had met at least 4 delivery drivers. Some guy comes in and starts giving me shit about my hair. He says something about how proud my parents must be and how if I was his child I would not have hair like that. I glared at him and replied sharply that I no longer had to listen to my parents' opinion since I was 27 and paying my own way thru school. Everyone got quiet, but I didn't realize since I was learning the damn cash register. He later introduced himself a KML, the owner. I swear I overheard AN on the phone with him the next week telling him that she had a good feeling about me and wanted to give me a few more weeks. I stayed and eventually won everyone over, but it was a struggle.

Comments:
Close call!

"I thought that smart was the same as open-minded and interesting."

I used to think the same.
 
Avoid alcohol while taking pharmacy. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by pharmacy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?