Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Exhaustion

J was moved to the ICU at 5 pm yesterday. R returned after picking up some things from me and found J unresponsive. The nurse told R at 1 pm that she was giving J 2 mg of a narcotic. When R returned, the nurse was trying to wake J. J was combative and very confused. They gave her Narcan to reverse the earlier dose and told another nurse that she had given J 4 mg. Dr W was called and decided to move her to a monitored bed. The ICU sucks for several reasons , but mostly because she can only have 2 visitors at a time for 1/2 hour periods of time designated 5 times per day. She is supposed to stay there until they rule out other reasons for her respiratory depression. I went at 6:00 pm yesterday because her nurse promised a visit when she got settled in. They made us wait until the next designated visiting time (8:30 pm). She was much better by that time. I found out that she had been given a different medicine for nausea with the 4 mg than the one she had been given in the ER. She hates that medicine because it does nothing for her nausea and makes her very groggy. I had specifically told the nurse to give her the medication used in the ER. I feel like the staff thought that she was drug seeking and that I was trying to tell them what to do. Anyways, I left and things went to hell.

I stopped in the pharmacy on my way out to talk to JJ. She was my pharmacy school partner-in-crime and a pharmacist on the night shift. She promised to look out for J. I also know several of the surgery residents and they will also be looking out for her.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?