Saturday, December 17, 2005

 

More bumps

It seems to me that most people, including gay people, feel the need to place same sex couples into gender roles. JP and I don't fit into these roles. I dress in a more feminine way than JP and she wears a baseball cap because she hates fixing her hair. So, many people classify me as the girl and JP as the boy. I cook, install fans, and own a large tool box. JP pays the bills, organizes Kai and I, and is in charge of all the electronics. As I stated, I helped the girlfriend with some of the construction work. I was unemployed so I was also working on several projects around the house. The girlfriend could not stop talk about me getting in touch with my butch side and how she was going to make a butch girl of me. I fixed things around the house when I was married. Then, I was handy. Now that I live with a woman, I am butch. Not that I think that butch is a negative thing. I just don't like being confined to a definition. I also feel like when members of the LGBT use these definitions they take away from the uniqueness of same sex relationships. Enough about gender roles for now.

So, my sister and I repainted the walls as soon as the construction was completed. We got mistaken for a painting crew by a couple of geeky male architects. I guess that is because we are Hispanic as is the entire landscaping crew for Pleasantville. The last part of the project was to lay the carpet. A, the girlfriend, JP, and I met on Sunday afternoon. The girlfriend told us it would take 3-4 hours. It was more like 8 hours. It was hard work. Just after lunch, we had a visitor. This man stopped in to talk to us about using him for a CPA. He kept insisting that we could not possibly laying the carpet ourselves. We even told him that the girlfriend had laid carpet before. He could not wrap his mind around 4 women completing such a project. We finished around 8:00 pm.

The next week the counters and shelves where put in. I began working on the multiple license and setting up inspections. Then, the computers were installed. The following week I was inspected by the Board of Pharmacy. It went very smoothly since I knew the inspector and had everything in place, but the internet. I had no phone or internet service at this time. I was trying to open in two weeks and the people I bought my phone equipment were anxious to install them. The installer, C, called me twice a day for 2 weeks. I was calling my phone service provider, Bell South, and anyone else that would listen. I needed 4 new line run into the building and no one seemed to know who was going to do it. I am amazed that there was only 1 line to begin with. How many businesses only use 1 line? We probably need more phone service that most businesses, but everyone probably needs at least 2 lines. I finally get that resolved and then we begin waiting for our DEA number. The medications arrived on October 31, two weeks after the DEA number

On November 1, we open for business. We were not set up to take any insurance and our credit card machine was not working (though we did not know it).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?