Thursday, December 15, 2005

 

Bumps in the road

Since we have been open for just over six weeks now, I feel that I must record some of the problems we have had.

July-August 2005- Closing was a nightmare. The builder was ready to close at the end of June. My realtor lost interest in the process after the contract was signed in February. She also told us what we wanted to hear rather than the facts. The mortage was a huge hassle because this property is a mix of commercial and residential property. Oh, did I mention that my parents actually bought the property? I had to serve as the mediator between the builder, the mortgage people, and my father. The problem with that situation was that my name was not on the mortgage at all and I have a different last name. Needless to say, it only confused the process even more. The closing date got changed 5 times. My lawyer, who is also my neighbor, was ridiculously patient. The builder was nice enough to allow us to move in 10 days before the actual closing. I did most of the packing up of our apartment and I moved several loads of boxes by myself. The last time I moved was five years ago. I am not terrible concerned or even aware about my aging. However, I felt every bit 5 years older moving all of our stuff. I was not able to help on moving day which is still a point of contention. We spent our first night here on July 29th.

After the closing, I began the search for a contractor. So every day for a month I called and recalled a variety of contractors. Some thought the job was too small, some thought the job was too complex. My favorites were the 3 or 4 who came over and spent an hour or more and NEVER called me back. I decided during this time that I should have chosen a different profession. I should have become an electrician or a contractor. I could have made a ton of money by just returning calls and showing up on time. I don't know if it is a gender thing, but these guys would not call me back, not even to tell me that they did not want the job. I ended up hiring my best friend's girlfriend and a random electrician. I will continue with that misadventure tomorrow

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?